The Society’s aims include:
- fostering a greater awareness of the heritage and amenities of St Albans
- encouraging the highest standard of design in new developments
- campaign for the retention of features which give St Albans its own special character
- contest inappropriate development proposals
- stimulate informed debate amongst residents, developers and the Council
On this page we provide details of some of the work we are doing to achieve those aims, including links to activities undertaken by other local groups whose aims we support.
Every month the Plans Group comments on current planning applications, these typically include conversion of offices to residential (such as the Ziggurat or Abbot House) and building on the car parks of former offices, as well as use of inappropriate materials, over development of small sites, and building in the Green Belt.
Other issues we have pursued in the last few months include the delays in replacing the steps at the main entrance to Clarence Park, and the continued absence of a strategy to address problems with the lake in Verulamium Park.
Groups we support are: